Abhiroop (Abhi) Chattopadhyay, P.E., is a Ph.D. student in the department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
He is interested in the applicability of microgrids to serve the energy needs in communities where the traditional electrical grid is lacking. He is interested in understanding the socio-economic influences that can help more communities across the world utilize renewable energy. His work focuses on developing approaches to optimize the design of solar microgrid systems contextually, merging the technical design process with ethnography-based investigation methods for needs assessment.
Before joining the Contextual Engineering Research Group, he was a graduate research assistant at the Information Trust Institute, where his research focused on the development of cyber-threat detection and mitigation methods in large-scale power systems.
Abhi began his involvement with international engineering projects during his undergraduate days at Illinois Tech, and has continued his involvement ever since.
Before returning to academia for his M.S. degree, Abhi worked in the water and wastewater engineering consulting industry as a design electrical engineer. He also served as a prototyping engineer at a couple of startups and was a technical advisor for prototyping at another.
- Chattopadhyay, A. -P. Witmer and P. W. Sauer, “The Need for Teaching Place-Based Contextualization for Sustainable Power System Infrastructure Design”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, [accepted], doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2021.3072069.
- Chattopadhyay,and B. Kaufman, “Archimedean Principles and Mathematical Heritage: A Synthesis”, Axiomathes, vol.31, no. 2, pp. 145-155, 2021.
- Shenai, and A. Chattopadhyay, “Optimization of High-Voltage Wide Bandgap Semiconductor Power Diodes”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 62, no, 2, pp. 359-365, 2015
- Chattopadhyay, A.-P. Witmer and P. W. Sauer, “Contextual Challenges in Using DERs to Advance Rural Electrification”, Accepted at the 55th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), 2022.
- Chattopadhyay, A. Valdes, P. W. Sauer, and R. Nuqui, “A Localized Cyber Threat Mitigation Approach for Wide Area Control of FACTS”, Accepted at IEEE SmartGridComm, 2021.
- Chattopadhyay, A. Valdes, P. W. Sauer, and R. Nuqui, “A Cyber Threat Mitigation Approach for Wide Area Control of SVCs using Stability Monitoring”, 2021 IEEE MadridPowerTech, 2021.(Recipient of the Basil Papadias Student Paper Award).
- Chattopadhyay, S. Dasgupta, R. Macwan, A. Valdes, G. Gross, P. W. Sauer, and R.Nuqui, “Fast, Approximate State Estimation-Based Approach for Cyber Threat Detection in Power Systems”, 53rd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 2020
• B.S. in Electrical Engineering, summa cum laude, Illinois Institute of Technology, 2014
• M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2020